So, guess what.
After a ferocious bidding war on trademe.co.nz on Saturday night, I bought it. On the Sunday I made a phone-call to arrange a time for collection and then headed on the trip from Invercargill to Gore to buy it. I arrived and backed up my huge trailer to the seller’s huge trailer and we moved the beast across.
These are the Dai’s of our Lives. Lame Joke, I know. Anyway, once the transfer was completed and the little sucker was strapped to the trailer the journey home began
…with a stop in every town along the way back home just to make sure the straps weren’t about to let go at any stage, and just to give you an idea of scale and how hilarious the Max looked on the journey home, have a look at these next images.
Almost a shame the Terrano isn’t a Navara, it would be close to being able to just be driven onto the deck. That would have been even more amusing!
Of course, before too long I’d made it home and with a little bit of fun of games it was taken off the trailer and sat in it’s future parking area;
With the move complete, I toddled off and returned the trailer to my parents house and then scurried back and got stuck in, just to see how deep a pool I’d gotten myself into.
…and after removing the mess of things from the interior,
and of course having found the grille, it would be rude to not try it on for size;
You may have noticed my “gangster” front plate. It only had one screw so there was nothing left to do but remove it completely.
With all the spare parts and random years of crap taken out of the car it was time to remove the seats to scope the condition of the floor out. The main pan, pretty damn good. The rear. Not so flash.
So it needs to have some new steel welded in, in places. I’ll try removing the front wings at a later date to track down any further potential issues. Despite the look of the boot area, it was damn solid and just needs a light wire brush and a bit of paint.
Then it was on to more important things like the trendy manner of measuring dish with your cellphone;
and if that doesn’t give you a good idea of scale, perhaps this will…
With everything tidied up on the interior and it left to dry out a little as it was a bit damp from having a mass of Marley sound deadening/insulation in it as well as the hideous brown carpets, it was tucked into it’s resting spot until I can next get the time to get further stuck in.
In the meantime, I’ll search for a replacement set of pistons and pins, the bore of the cylinders will require a little hone and then re-assembly time and a check of whether the little bugger will live or not. Looking forward to that two-smoke moment. If you can be of any assistance in this regard, please do so! I’m eager to hear from anyone who has bits and pieces, perhaps even a complete engine that I could utilise and before anyone says it. No, I’m not putting a different engine in it.